The TFA Annual Report that will be put out for membership is now available to view.TFA will send an original to every TFA affiliate and some to each State office.The report will be presented at the TFA AGM which will occur on Sunday, 14 December 2008 in Canberra.Related Filestfa_annual_report_200708-pdf
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say DONE DEAL? Cowley making Simpson his first signing as Huddersfield managerby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveDan Cowley has made Danny Simpson his first signing as Huddersfield Town manager.The Sun says the former Leicester City fullback has agreed a deal with Huddersfield until the end of the season.Cowley wanted experience in his squad to get the Terriers out of trouble and turned to 32-year-old to provide competition at right-back.Huddersfield currently sit bottom of the Championship with just one point from eight games and are six points adrift of safety already.Jan Siewert was axed in August after a run of one win in 19 matches – which included relegation from the Premier League – before Cowley and brother Nicky joined from Lincoln earlier this month.
Jim Harbaugh was only Michigan’s head coach for one of the program’s three rivalry contests against Ohio State during Ezekiel Elliott’s tenure, but he seems to have made quite an impression on the star running back. Friday, Elliott, who is going through the ESPN car wash today, trashed Harbaugh, telling Paul Finebaum that he’s “tired” of hearing about him. Elliott also called out Harbaugh for talking smack when he hasn’t won a rivalry game. Yikes.“I’m tired of hearing about Coach Harbaugh he needs to get in check with reality” – @EzekielElliott pic.twitter.com/QHElXCl7QV— Paul Finebaum (@finebaum) April 15, 2016more from @EzekielElliott: “you can’t talk smack about a rivalry when you haven’t won a game. You have to win ballgames to talk behind it.”— Paul Finebaum (@finebaum) April 15, 2016Here’s @EzekielElliott‘s full quote about Jim Harbaugh on @finebaum pic.twitter.com/FkeSmMrqZa— John Hayes (@johnP_hayes) April 15, 2016This isn’t exactly a surprise – Elliott has made a living off of trolling Michigan the past few years. But it’s still hilarious, and reminds us that there is no better college football rivalry than Ohio State vs. Michigan.
TORONTO – Barrick Gold Corp. says it expects to take a US$429-million charge following an order by the Chilean government to close all surface facilities at its troubled Pascua-Lama project high in the Andes mountains.The gold miner says it is reclassifying Pascua-Lama’s 14 million ounces of proven and probable gold reserves, which are based on an open pit mine plan, as measured and indicated resources.Barrick is studying the potential of developing Pascua-Lama as an underground mining operation, rather than an open pit.It says the change would address a number of concerns by reducing the overall environmental impacts.The project, which straddles the Chile-Argentina border, has been criticized for threatening water supplies and glaciers.Barrick says it will provide a further update on the Pascua-Lama project at the company’s investor day on Feb. 22.Companies in this story: (TSX:ABX)
VICTORIA – Two government reviews will dig deeper into possible money laundering in British Columbia, expanding the province’s scrutiny beyond casinos.The reviews are aimed at stopping the possibility of money laundering in other sectors of the province’s economy, which were cited in a June report by former RCMP deputy commissioner Peter German, who concluded the practice was happening in the provincial gaming industry.“We can’t ignore that red flag,” Attorney General David Eby said Thursday. “We won’t ignore it.”Finance Minister Carole James said: “It’s important for us as government to say we aren’t going to accept that illegal activity.”The reviews will focus on the possibility of money laundering in real estate, horse racing, luxury vehicles and the financial services sector, Eby said.The first review is being done by the Ministry of Finance into real estate and financial services sectors. German will conduct the second review, which will focus on identifying the scale and scope of illicit activity in the real estate market, as well as whether money laundering is linked to horse racing and the sale of luxury vehicles.There is widespread concern about B.C.’s reputation as a haven for money laundering, said Eby.German’s original report said B.C.’s gaming industry and the system intended to combat money laundering were not prepared for an onslaught of illegal cash flowing through the casinos and they failed collectively. He estimated more than $100 million was funnelled through casinos.Eby said he is concerned that money launderers could possibly move their activities to other sectors of the B.C. economy now that much of the movement of large amounts of cash at casinos has been halted.“It’s essentially a game of whack-a-mole, I’ve said before, with money launderers,” he said.Eby said the new reviews, due in March, will follow German’s concerns about sectors beyond gaming while the Finance Ministry will look to identify and close regulatory gaps that could be used by money launderers.Maureen Maloney, a former deputy attorney general, was appointed chairwoman of an expert panel on money laundering in real estate, said James.“It really is an opportunity to do specific cases, to follow the money and to look at where the gaps are and to look at the system and closing those gaps,” she said.
LONDON — The Latest on Brexit negotiations (all times local):12:20 p.m.The German government is holding back on its assessment of the draft deal on Britain’s exit from the European Union, saying it has yet to be briefed on the details.A spokeswoman for German Chancellor Angela Merkel told reporters in Berlin on Wednesday that “the government naturally welcomes any progress that leads to Britain’s departure taking place in an orderly manner.”Martina Fietz, said the EU’s executive, which is negotiating with Britain, will brief the other 27 members of the bloc Wednesday at 3 p.m. (1400 GMT).She added that Brexit isn’t on the agenda for Merkel’s weekly Cabinet meeting Thursday.Maria Adebahr, a spokeswoman for Germany’s Foreign Ministry, said that “should there be an agreement, or significant progress be announced, we would very much welcome that.”___12:15 p.m.U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May says a draft divorce agreement with the European Union “takes us significantly closer to delivering what the British people voted for” when they decided to leave the bloc.May told lawmakers that the deal means Britain will “take back control” of its laws and borders “while protecting jobs, security and the integrity of our United Kingdom.”May’s Cabinet is due to meet later Wednesday to consider whether to back the deal. Pro-Brexit politicians are already attacking it, saying it will bind Britain to EU rules and regulations long after it leaves the bloc in March.May said the Cabinet would decide what to do “in the national interest.”___8:30 a.m.British Prime Minister Theresa May is set to face her divided Cabinet in a bid to win support for a draft Brexit deal with the European Union.Negotiators from the two sides have reached agreement on divorce terms, including a plan to resolve the key issue of the Irish border.But pro-Brexit lawmakers in May’s divided Conservative Party are angry, saying the agreement will leave Britain tethered to the EU after it departs in March.Failure to secure Cabinet backing will leave May’s leadership in doubt and the Brexit process in chaos.If Cabinet supports the deal Wednesday, it needs approval from the EU at a summit in the next few weeks. Then May will need to win backing from Parliament, where pro-Brexit and pro-EU legislators alike are threatening to oppose it.The Associated Press
“Early childhood educators are the heart of B.C.’s child care system, and their passion and dedication are key to setting B.C. kids on the path to future success,” said Katrine Conroy, B.C.’s Minister of Children and Family Development. “As we build new licensed child care spaces, we know that we also need to build the ECE workforce. Our government appreciates the important work early childhood educators do every day, and with this strategy, we aim to support ECEs throughout their career – because when we invest in child care, everyone benefits.”Through the new strategy, the B.C. government aims to encourage more people to become or stay on career paths as early childhood educators. By improving recruitment and retention, the government said that more B.C. families will have access to stable child care programs. Child care providers have cited lack of qualified early childhood educators as a key hiring challenge in recent years.Under the new strategy childcare workers at licensed facilities that have been approved for the Child Care Fee Reduction Initiative will be getting a $1-per-hour raise early next year, with another $1-per-hour raise in April 2020.A $10-million investment to fund an expanded ECE Education Support Fund was also announced to provide increased ECE Student bursaries and a new payment schedule to reimburse students sooner.Under ChildCare BC, the government says it will be spending more than $1 billion on child care over the next three years. VANCOUVER, B.C. – The provincial government announced today that thousands of childcare workers across B.C. will be getting wage boosts and new supports through the Province’s ChildCare BC plan.The B.C. government said today that it will be spending $136 million to support the new Early Care and Learning Recruitment and Retention Strategy, which will help support early childhood educators by providing wage enhancements, on-the-job training opportunities and other measures.The federal government announced that it would be providing $16.3 million in funding for bursaries and professional development.
“Those regulations are definitely there for a reason, but we were trying to come up with a better model,” he said.Dedicated infrastructure corridors have had success in other jurisdictions, including Europe and Australia, Fellows said.Pipelines are very good at generating economic benefits at both ends of the line, and not so much in the middle _ but roads, rail, electricity and telecom can help people all along the route, Fellows said.“You might not make everyone 100-per-cent happy, but the goal is to try to make everyone a little bit happier than they are now,” said Fellows, who co-wrote the paper with Andrei Sulzenko. OTTAWA, O.N. – The notion of a pan-Canadian corridor dedicated to rail, power lines and pipelines has been around for at least half a century but it looks like it’s about to get a big publicity boost.Last week, Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer used a major pre-election policy speech to dust off a similar idea. Scheer promised, if he wins October’s election, that he would to work towards establishing a cross-country “energy corridor.”He said planning for the route would be done up front, in consultation with provinces and Indigenous communities. A right-of-way would make it easier to lower environmental assessment costs, improve certainty for investors and increase the chances more projects will be built, Scheer said. Interest in a coast-to-coast corridor has picked up in recent years. Energy infrastructure proposals have failed to secure approval due to tough regulatory processes and community concerns over environmental impacts.For instance, the shortage of pipeline capacity out of oil-rich Alberta has created a bottleneck that’s harmed both the provincial and national economies. Sellers have had to sell at deep discounts because there simply isn’t the transportation capacity to get oil to willing buyers.In the last few years, a few academics and senators have recommended the federal government give the corridor concept a serious look, even though making it happen would be a big, multi-jurisdictional undertaking.Scheer’s pitch appears to have drawn inspiration from a 2016 University of Calgary paper that offered possible solutions through a northern corridor for transportation and infrastructure.G. Kent Fellows, who co-authored the report, said the right-of-way could be used for roads, rail, pipelines, electricity transmission lines and telecommunications. The study’s proposed 7,000-kilometre corridor would also serve communities well north of the existing east-west routes that run closer to the U.S. border. In concept, a main line and offshoots would connect ports in northern British Columbia and the Northwest Territories to Churchill, Man., eastern Quebec and Labrador.The hurdles of consultations and regulatory oversight for new projects are significant, Fellows said. The creation of a corridor could take decades, or even half a century, and a “back of the envelope” calculation estimates it could cost something like $100 billion, Fellows said.The study caught the attention of a Senate committee, which took a closer look at the concept in 2016 and 2017.In a 2017 report of its own, the committee called the corridor idea a “visionary, future-oriented infrastructure initiative” that would create significant economic opportunities for Canada and help develop northern regions.“Because an initiative of this scale and scope would likely take decades to complete, the federal government _ on a priority basis _ should ensure that a feasibility study on the proposed northern corridor is undertaken,” said the committee report.Senators recommended the government dedicate up to $5 million to the University of Calgary to support further research into the corridor.The committee report noted how a 1971 report by Richard Rohmer _ an air-force veteran of D-Day who became a prominent land-use lawyer with the ear of governor general Roland Michener _ proposed the development of a “mid-Canada” corridor, recommending federal, provincial and territorial governments make it an urgent priority. Rohmer imagined a massive transportation network for goods and people could turn communities such as Flin Flon, Whitehorse and High Level into major new urban centres.The report was presented then-prime minister Pierre Trudeau but the committee said his government never moved forward on the idea.Christopher Ragan, a McGill University professor, said he recalls the University of Calgary corridor study and he thinks it’s “quite a striking idea” that makes a lot of sense.Ragan, who served on federal Finance Minister Bill Morneau’s economic advisory panel, said he’s glad Scheer has taken up the concept of a corridor and bringing it to the public’s attention as a serious idea.On climate change, Ragan said the country will want to find ways to get through tough approval processes to run more east-west energy grids. For example, he said clean electricity could move from British Columbia, Quebec and Manitoba into Alberta, Saskatchewan and parts of Ontario to help displace fossil-fuel generation.Ragan is also head of the Ecofiscal Commission, a group of academics focused on economic and environmental solutions.“I don’t frankly care whether it’s an old idea or a new idea _ but it is a new idea in terms of a real-world, policy practical discussion … It’s good that you actually have politicians starting to talk about this.”
Wellington: New Zealand’s intelligence minister said Wednesday he was allowing spy agencies to carry out “intrusive” activities following the Christchurch mosque shootings that claimed 50 lives. The government this week ordered a judicial inquiry into whether the South Pacific nation’s intelligence services could have prevented the March 15 attack amid criticism the white supremacist gunman went unnoticed as they were too focused on Muslim extremists. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from USAndrew Little — the minister responsible for the GCSB and SIS intelligence services — said he had signed powerful surveillance warrants as information gathering continued in the wake of the attack. “I have given authority to the agencies to do intrusive activities under warrant, the number of those (warrants) I’m not at liberty to disclose,” he told Radio New Zealand. Little said intelligence services typically monitored 30-40 people but that number had now increased, although he was unwilling to reveal by how much. Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential pollsHe said a warrant permitted anything from physical surveillance to the monitoring of telecommunications activity. “The whole gambit of what would otherwise be described as intrusive activity,” he told the New Zealand Herald. “The purpose of a warrant is to authorise and effectively make lawful what would otherwise be unlawful activity.” Little denied New Zealand had proved a “soft target” for the accused gunman, an Australian with apparent links to right-wing groups who reportedly moved to the country with the intention of carrying out an attack. Little said he maintained confidence in the intelligence services and until the inquiry into their actions was complete it was “premature” to say they had failed. “Until there’s a very microscopic look at what the agencies have been doing and whether they’ve missed anything, I can’t say for certain,” he told RNZ. “It’s important for me, the agencies, but ultimately for public confidence that we let that commission of inquiry do its job and reach its conclusions.” Meanwhile, police remained tight-lipped about two raids conducted by armed officers in Christchurch overnight. The raids took place at opposite ends of the city centre, the first at 8:00 pm (0700 GMT) Tuesday and the second around 1:00 am Wednesday.
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress leaders from North 24-Parganas have registered a complaint with the District Election Officer (DEO) against Arjun Singh, who is contesting the forthcoming Lok Sabha elections from the Barrackpore constituency on BJP’s ticket.A separate complaint was also lodged at the Titagarh police station in this regard. The district Trinamool Congress leaders have alleged that Singh had called up a Trinamool Congress leader in Barrackpore and threatened him with dire consequences. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaThey also termed the incident as a desperation move after Singh was removed from the post of chairman of Bhatpara Municipality through secret ballot on Monday. The district TMC leaders are also of the view that Singh is making threat calls after apprehending defeat in the upcoming elections. It may be mentioned here that Singh has recently joined BJP from Trinamool Congress. After he joined BJP, the Trinamool Congress leaders decided to issue a no-confidence motion in the 34-member Bhatpara Municipality in North 24-Parganas. The no-confidence motion was passed against Singh through a secret ballot, where he lost 21-11. The DEO of North 24-Parganas, who also happens to be the District Magistrate, will carry out a probe into the alleged threat call and may submit a report to the office of the Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) in the state. The CEO’s office had also sought a report from the DEO on Monday, after a BJP party office was allegedly ransacked in Bhatpara.