Three jailed reporters charged with “undermining national security” to go further IraqMiddle East – North Africa Reporters Without Borders voiced concern today on learning that Kalchan Al-Bayati was arrested again yesterday in Tikrit. A freelance journalist who writes for the daily Al-Hayat, Bayati has often criticised the US occupation in her articles.“This is the second time in less than two weeks that Bayati has been arrested and held by the Iraqi security forces,” the press freedom organisation said. “We demand that the Iraqi authorities give an explanation.”Bayati was previously arrested on 11 September because the Iraqi security forces suspected her of being linked to armed groups. She was released two days later.————————————————————————–13.09.2006 Tikrit-based woman journalist freed after being held by Iraqui authorities for two daysReporters Without Borders voiced relief today on learning that Iraqi journalist Kalchan Al-Bayati was released today after being held by the authorities for two days. She said she was not mistreated while in custody and that she was detained on suspicion of helping the rebel groups about which she is currently preparing an article.A freelance contributor to the Al-Hayat daily newspaper, Bayati was arrested by Iraqi security forces at her home in Tikrit on the evening of 11 September.————————————————————————–12.09.2006 Concern over arrest of woman journalist by Iraqi security forcesReporters Without Borders today called for the immediate release of Khalchan Al Bayati, a contributor to the Arabic-language daily Al Hayat and critic of the US occupation, who was arrested at her home in Tikrit last night by Iraqi security forces and was taken to an unknown location.“We are very worried by Bayati’s arrest, especially as we have no information about the reason or where she is being held,” the press freedom organisation said. “Iraqi journalists have to work in extremely difficult conditions. More than 100 have been killed in the past three years. It is shocking to see them also being targeted by the security forces, who are supposed to protect them. We call on interior minister Jawad Al Bolany to intervene and get her released immediately.”Bayati, who has been a contributor to Al Hayat for several years, has on several occasions condemned the US occupation of Iraq in her articles.Reached by Reporters Without Borders, an Iraqi official who asked not to identified confirmed that Bayati had been detained but he did not know where she had been taken and did not specify the reason for her arrest.Many journalists have reported that the Iraqi security forces have become much more aggressive towards the media in recent weeks.Twelve journalists were arrested while covering peaceful demonstrations in the Sulaimaniya region (in the Kurdish north) in August, and in some cases they were held for several hours and their photographic equipment was destroyed. An Associated Press correspondent was also banned from covering these demonstrations.A total of 104 journalists and media assistants have been killed since the start of the war in 2003, while two are missing and three are currently held hostage. September 21, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Tikrit-based woman journalist arrested for second time in less than two weeks December 16, 2020 Find out more Help by sharing this information RSF’s 2020 Round-up: 50 journalists killed, two-thirds in countries “at peace” Follow the news on Iraq Receive email alerts IraqMiddle East – North Africa News News News December 28, 2020 Find out more RSF_en February 15, 2021 Find out more News Iraq : Wave of arrests of journalists covering protests in Iraqi Kurdistan Organisation
February 10, 2021 Find out more August 12, 2014 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Ethiopian government to bring criminal charges against six weeklies Ethiopia’s justice ministry has announced that it is bringing criminal charges ranging from “dissemination of false rumours with the intent of overthrowing the government” to “undermining public trust in the government and attempts at fostering ethnic and religious divisions” against six news weeklies.In a communiqué released on 5 August, the ministry accused the six weeklies – Lomi, Enqu, Fact, Jano, Addis Guday and Afro-Times – of “encouraging terrorism, endangering national security, repeated incitement of ethnic and religious hate, and smears against officials and public institutions.”Two of the weeklies, Addis Guday and Fact, are among Ethiopia’s leading privately-owned newspapers and have often covered events or published stories that have generated political controversy. One of Addis Guday’s journalists, Asmamaw Hailegiorgis, has been held on a terrorism charge since 25 April.The ministry said it had been “patient” with the six weeklies but had finally decided to bring charges in response to public pressure for corrective action. It also warned that it was ready to bring charges against other publications engaging in similar “subversive” activity.“Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn’s government must end the harassment of independent media that it has been orchestrating for the past few months,” said Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Christophe Deloire.“With the 10 journalists and bloggers already accused of terrorism and now this prosecution threat, the government is sending a much tougher message to news providers. Prosecuting journalists for ‘undermining public trust in the government’ is totally illegitimate.”Ethiopia is ranked 143rd out of 180 countries in the 2014 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index. Follow the news on Ethiopia May 21, 2021 Find out more Journalist attacked, threatened in her Addis Ababa home News News Receive email alerts (photo : Ethiopian Justice minister, Getachew Ambaye) EthiopiaAfrica Help by sharing this information RSF_en May 18, 2021 Find out more Organisation RSF condemns NYT reporter’s unprecedented expulsion from Ethiopia EthiopiaAfrica Ethiopia arbitrarily suspends New York Times reporter’s accreditation News to go further News
The Oxford University Tory Reform Group is to merge with the Oxford University Conservative Association, in a surprising move announced yesterday.An emergency meeting was held last week to debate the future of the TRG, and voted unanimously for its dissolution. The group has been struggling to attract members. There was a distinct lack of interest at Freshers’ Fair this term, and events have been badly attended for the last two years. Even the emergency meeting itself had a poor turnout and only just reached quorum. Attendance has been declining dramatically since the end of 2005, when David Cameron was made leader of the Conservative Party. Members believe that this is one of the main reasons for the TRG’s decline, as both OUCA and the Conservative Party itself have shifted more towards the centre-right, and the TRG as a special group has become superfluous. In an email to TRG members, current President Luke Connoley said, ‘It is very easy for the student press to portray OUCA, given its history, as an elitist society, but I do believe that it has genuinely become more liberal. Being a broad political society as it is, and containing all wings of conservative political thought as it does, there will always be OUCA members to the ‘right’ of the political spectrum, but there will also always be OUCA members on the TRG side’ ‘The OUTRG has been in existence since 1965, which is ten years longer than the National TRG has existed. Seeing such a long-lived organisation with such a history of inviting interesting speakers, and challenging the views of Oxford students perish is inevitably sad.’ OUCA President Alex Stafford said, ‘This speaks volumes about how both the Conservative Party and OUCA have adapted and changed for the better. I am very pleased that the TRG want to re-join us, and we welcome them back into the fold.’Some students have been sceptical about the merge. A Regent’s Park 2nd year said ‘This is exactly why people are losing faith in political parties, all their views are merging and becoming the same. Cameron is appropriating Labour’s more trendy ideas and the differences between the parties are becoming fewer and fewer. I am not a conservative, but I do think that this shows a wider problem across British politics.’ All TRG members are being offered free membership of OUCA. ‘Should the political climate change significantly, either at a local level,or on a national level – significantly enough for there to be a renewed need for a liberal, centre-right conservative society in Oxford – then the OUTRG can always be re-formed and re-established,’ Connoley concluded.
Less than two minutes later, Tipperary were awarded a penalty for a foul on Bonner. Drom and Inch clubman Seamus Callanan stepped up to the mark…but his rocket shot at goal was saved on the line. By the 25th minute of the first half, Tipperary led the Cats 1-9 to 7 points…but Richie Hogan streaked through the Premier’s defences seconds later to score a goal for Kilkenny, bringing them back to within two points of Tipp. It was tit-for-tat for the next few minutes as the two sides traded points, until two points in a row from TJ Reid put Kilkenny just a point behind Tipp in the 34th minute, but Seamus Callanan came back again to score from a placed ball to leave the Premier County 2 points to spare over Kilkenny going into the breakKilkenny had a dream start to the second half with a goal from TJ Reid inside the first minute of the half…Shane McGrath replied with a point bringing it back to level. Kilkenny found the back of the net a third time in the 48th minute giving them a three point lead…3-15 to 1-18Tipperary were awarded a second penalty in the 57th minute for a foul on Lar Corbett but Bubbles O’Dwyer’s shot was saved on the line…by the 65th minute of the game, Tipperary were trailing by three points. But a stunning passage of play from all areas of the pitch led to three points in a row for Tipp…as Bubbles O’Dwyer, substitute Jason Forde and Bubbles again brought the Premier County right back into it and left the score level on 1-28 to 3-22 by the 70th minute. In injury time, Tipperary were awarded a free inside their own half…..once again, John Bubbles O’Dwyer stepped up to the mark, from 97 metres out, to try and bring Liam home to Tipperary but the call was too close to call for the officials……and ultimately the final decision was left to Hawk Eye.So the Premier County’s senior hurlers have to do it all again….the replay has been set for 5 o’clock on Saturday the 27th September….so both sides have time to reflect, regroup and plan their attack for the next day out. After a thrilling All Ireland Final in Croke Park this afternoon, it ended all square between Tipperary and Kilkenny on a final scoreline of 1-28 to 3-22…Hawk Eye had to make the final decision when Killenaule’s James ‘Bubbles’ O’Dwyer sent a high free from 97 metres out, which just missed the posts…in the 71st minute. Tipp started the game well with 3 points inside the first 7 minutes of play…Bonner Maher raised the green flag for the Premier County in the 21st minute of the first half with a stunning goal…
Van Dijk: Liverpool will ask me about De Ligt if we want himby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool defender Virgil van Dijk admits there’s little talk about Matthijs de Ligt.The Ajax stopper is expected to leave for a major European power, though Van Dijk says there’s been little talk of his Holland teammate at Melwood.He told AD: “It does not work like that. A big club like Liverpool has so many scouts looking around, they will keep an eye on him. “If they want to know something, I’ll hear about it.”Asked how much he would pay for De Ligt, Van Dijk laughed: “Well, less than that for me, hahaha. But Ajax is in a luxurious position. We will see.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Tottenham legend Ardiles insists title push remains onby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveTottenham legend Ossie Ardiles insists a title push remains on.Tottenham are third in the Premier League table after five matches, just two points behind Manchester City but seven adrift of leaders Liverpool.”[It’s been] very positive. I believe that there are two teams to beat – Liverpool and Manchester City – but I think we are one of the teams that can beat them and we are going to try and fight with them all the way,” Ardiles told Sky Sports.”We have a very, very strong squad. That showed last season and in the Champions League as well. “We do have a very strong squad but we have to be a little bit better and I hope we will do it this year.”
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Bournemouth boss Howe: Southampton clash will be really feistyby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveBournemouth boss Eddie Howe expects the tackles to fly tomorrow night against Southampton.Southampton meet traditional rivals Portsmouth in the Carabao Cup on Tuesday, but Howe feels Bournemouth’s games against the Saints are “gaining in everybody’s focus”.”It should be a really feisty game, a really good atmosphere and an entertaining match,” Bournemouth boss Howe told Sky Sports. “Southampton have started very well, too.”It’s gaining in everybody’s focus. The more games we have, the more the rivalry will intensify I think.”We’ve enjoyed the games against Southampton which have been tight and tough, from both clubs’ perspectives. We’re looking forward to another entertaining match.”
SAN FRANCISCO – The owner of China’s largest music streaming services is looking to strike it rich in the U.S. stock market.Tencent Music Entertainment plans to sell its stock in the U.S. as part of an initial public offering. The IPO documents filed Tuesday propose raising $1 billion, but that preliminary figure often ends up being substantially higher.Investor demand is likely to be high, given the rising popularity of music streaming and Tencent’s success so far.Tencent says its services have more than 800 million users, including 23.3 million subscribers who pay to listen to its music library.It’s also profitable, having earned $199 million on revenue of $1.66 billion last year.Tencent’s major shareholders include the leading music streaming service Spotify, which went public earlier this year.
LONDON — The Latest on Brexit negotiations (all times local):12:20 p.m.The German government is holding back on its assessment of the draft deal on Britain’s exit from the European Union, saying it has yet to be briefed on the details.A spokeswoman for German Chancellor Angela Merkel told reporters in Berlin on Wednesday that “the government naturally welcomes any progress that leads to Britain’s departure taking place in an orderly manner.”Martina Fietz, said the EU’s executive, which is negotiating with Britain, will brief the other 27 members of the bloc Wednesday at 3 p.m. (1400 GMT).She added that Brexit isn’t on the agenda for Merkel’s weekly Cabinet meeting Thursday.Maria Adebahr, a spokeswoman for Germany’s Foreign Ministry, said that “should there be an agreement, or significant progress be announced, we would very much welcome that.”___12:15 p.m.U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May says a draft divorce agreement with the European Union “takes us significantly closer to delivering what the British people voted for” when they decided to leave the bloc.May told lawmakers that the deal means Britain will “take back control” of its laws and borders “while protecting jobs, security and the integrity of our United Kingdom.”May’s Cabinet is due to meet later Wednesday to consider whether to back the deal. Pro-Brexit politicians are already attacking it, saying it will bind Britain to EU rules and regulations long after it leaves the bloc in March.May said the Cabinet would decide what to do “in the national interest.”___8:30 a.m.British Prime Minister Theresa May is set to face her divided Cabinet in a bid to win support for a draft Brexit deal with the European Union.Negotiators from the two sides have reached agreement on divorce terms, including a plan to resolve the key issue of the Irish border.But pro-Brexit lawmakers in May’s divided Conservative Party are angry, saying the agreement will leave Britain tethered to the EU after it departs in March.Failure to secure Cabinet backing will leave May’s leadership in doubt and the Brexit process in chaos.If Cabinet supports the deal Wednesday, it needs approval from the EU at a summit in the next few weeks. Then May will need to win backing from Parliament, where pro-Brexit and pro-EU legislators alike are threatening to oppose it.The Associated Press
Wellington: New Zealand’s intelligence minister said Wednesday he was allowing spy agencies to carry out “intrusive” activities following the Christchurch mosque shootings that claimed 50 lives. The government this week ordered a judicial inquiry into whether the South Pacific nation’s intelligence services could have prevented the March 15 attack amid criticism the white supremacist gunman went unnoticed as they were too focused on Muslim extremists. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from USAndrew Little — the minister responsible for the GCSB and SIS intelligence services — said he had signed powerful surveillance warrants as information gathering continued in the wake of the attack. “I have given authority to the agencies to do intrusive activities under warrant, the number of those (warrants) I’m not at liberty to disclose,” he told Radio New Zealand. Little said intelligence services typically monitored 30-40 people but that number had now increased, although he was unwilling to reveal by how much. Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential pollsHe said a warrant permitted anything from physical surveillance to the monitoring of telecommunications activity. “The whole gambit of what would otherwise be described as intrusive activity,” he told the New Zealand Herald. “The purpose of a warrant is to authorise and effectively make lawful what would otherwise be unlawful activity.” Little denied New Zealand had proved a “soft target” for the accused gunman, an Australian with apparent links to right-wing groups who reportedly moved to the country with the intention of carrying out an attack. Little said he maintained confidence in the intelligence services and until the inquiry into their actions was complete it was “premature” to say they had failed. “Until there’s a very microscopic look at what the agencies have been doing and whether they’ve missed anything, I can’t say for certain,” he told RNZ. “It’s important for me, the agencies, but ultimately for public confidence that we let that commission of inquiry do its job and reach its conclusions.” Meanwhile, police remained tight-lipped about two raids conducted by armed officers in Christchurch overnight. The raids took place at opposite ends of the city centre, the first at 8:00 pm (0700 GMT) Tuesday and the second around 1:00 am Wednesday.