To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
A day after it was announced, commuters heading to work packed into trains in Tokyo, with some expressing confusion over how best to restrict their movements.”It’s unavoidable that people have to come out for work,” said Risa Tanaka, an office worker wearing a mask near the Shinjuku station, who said she usually tried to work at home, but had stepped out to deliver some documents.”I don’t know if the emergency declaration is enough.”The scenes in Tokyo contrasted with measures across Europe enforced by police patrolling the streets and also through the use of drones in some countries, such as Britain and France. Topics : French residents have had to sign and carry an official form justifying their presence outside homes and face stiff penalties for breaches.Despite some accusations of heavy-handed policing, the enforcement has largely succeeded, leading to bare city streets and the effective shutdown of much of Europe’s local economies, though some flouting has included barbecue gatherings in parks.Japan’s month-long virus emergency gives regional governors more power to press businesses to close, but will add to pains inflicted on the world’s third-largest economy from supply chain disruptions and travel bans.”We’ve reduced the number of in-office workers by half, but we are still rotating to go into work,” said a commuter, Chihiro Kakegawa, an employee of a financial institution near the Tokyo station, adding that it freed her from going to work everyday.With Tokyo’s governor Yuriko Koike expected to announce only on Friday what categories of businesses will have to shut, many shops and businesses have been left to decide on their own for now.In most cases, Japanese authorities have no penalties to back calls for people to stay home and businesses to shut.Department stores, karaoke parlors and some non-essential businesses, such as coffee chain Starbucks, have already said they would close. The foreign ministry said it would monitor the temperatures of all visitors and block those with high fever.With an eye on the economy, Abe has sought a cut of 70% to 80% in contacts among people in the seven regions, leaving plenty of wiggle room for defiance of the request to stay home.Train schedules of the East Japan Railway Co, which services the capital and surrounding areas, remain unchanged, with operations running as normal.”I don’t think the reduction is anywhere near the 70 or 80 percent Abe is aiming for,” said Yoshihiko Furusawa, 43, as he watched pedestrians near the Shinjuku ward office where he works.”I think the important point is to stop people going to bars after work.” Tokyo recorded 144 coronavirus infections on Wednesday, its biggest daily jump since the start of the pandemic, public broadcaster NHK said, without citing sources on the first day of a state of emergency aimed at containing the outbreak.Total infections in the Japanese capital stand at 1,339, NHK said, for an increase that would carry the nationwide tally beyond 4,600, including 98 deaths, based on numbers it published earlier in the day.The number of infections is still far smaller than in many European countries and the United States, but a steady rise in some areas prompted Prime Minister Shinzo Abe to declare the emergency in Tokyo, Osaka and five other hard-hit prefectures.
Alderweireld helped Spurs reach the Champions League final last season (Picture: Getty)‘£25million for a ready-made centre half who is going to get you through the next three seasons and bring on other players around them, it’s a no-brainer for me.‘People will say you’re going to lose money, yeah you are but you’re going to do that if you bring loan players for me.’Alderweireld has made over 150 appearances for Spurs over the past four years and helped the club reach the Champions League final last season.Tottenham finished fourth in the Premier League last term with 71 points, ahead of fifth-placed Arsenal and sixth-placed Manchester United.More: FootballBruno Fernandes responds to Man Utd bust-up rumours with Ole Gunnar SolskjaerNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira moves Arsenal and Manchester United urged to sign Tottenham star Toby Alderweireld Metro Sport ReporterTuesday 23 Jul 2019 11:46 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link566Shares Advertisement Arsenal and Manchester United have been urged to sign Toby Alderweireld from Tottenham (Picture: Getty)Arsenal and Manchester United have been urged to make moves for Tottenham defender Toby Alderweireld.Belgium international Alderweireld is regarded as one of the best defenders in the world and has been a key member of Spurs’ squad since signing from Atletico Madrid in 2015.Despite his influence at Tottenham, the 30-year-old has been persistently linked with a summer move and can be bought for just £25million until Friday due to a clause in his contract.That does not appear to be met, but former Premier League star Danny Mills is astonished Arsenal and Manchester United are not trying to secure his services this summer.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTMore: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityBoth Arsenal and United are in the market for defensive reinforcements, with the Gunners close to signing William Saliba for £27m and the Red Devils chasing £80m-rated Harry Maguire.Former England defender Mills told Football Insider: ‘Let’s say he plays another three seasons, that’s around £8million-a-year.‘People are paying loan fees of £8million-a-year, he’s a ready-made player. It’s an absolute bargain.‘How Manchester United are not coming and banging down the door, how Arsenal are not banging down the door and saying we want this player, I have no idea. Comment Advertisement
Advertisement Mikel Arteta joined Arsenal from Everton after he was signed by Arsene Wenger (Picture: Getty)Mikel Arteta admits the chance to manage Arsenal would not have been possible were it not for the vision of Arsene Wenger.The 37-year-old joined the Gunners as a player from Everton in August 2011 and went on to captain the club to consecutive FA Cup triumphsArteta hung up his playing boots in 2016 and has since been learning the managerial trade as Pep Guardiola’s assistant, playing a key role behind the scenes as Manchester City scooped an unprecedented domestic treble last season.The Spaniard was confirmed as Unai Emery’s permanent successor on Friday and made sure to publicly thank Wenger, who had identified his ability as both a player and potential future manager.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT‘Well, when I was playing in England I started to realise what Arsenal meant,’ said Arteta. Metro Sport ReporterFriday 20 Dec 2019 6:46 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link407Shares Mikel Arteta pays classy tribute to Arsene Wenger after being named Arsenal head coach Mikel Arteta was confirmed as Arsenal’s new head coach on Friday (Picture: Getty)‘Obviously I was born in Barcelona and the club which had the most similar style and most similar values and ambition, it was Arsenal.‘I always talked to the people around me that I had a dream and it was to play for this football club.‘There was one man and his name was Arsene Wenger who believed in me and gave me the opportunity to play for this club.‘And after that he made me captain of this football club and I wouldn’t be sitting here if he didn’t have the vision to give me the opportunity to enjoy this incredible football club.’More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing ArsenalArteta came agonsingly close to replacing Wenger in the summer of 2018 before the club’s board decided to turn to Unai Emery.‘A little bit close,’ Arteta added when asked how near he came to filling the void created by Wenger’s departure.‘It wasn’t the right time. The right time came now. I’m glad I learned a lot from that experience.‘It was great to be part of the process. I was very prepared for this one and it helped.’MORE: Arsenal head coach Mikel Arteta reveals his plan for ‘massive player’ Mesut OzilMORE: Charlie Nicholas wanted Brendan Rodgers as Arsenal manager but praises ‘second-choice’ Mikel Arteta Comment Advertisement
Arsenal to trigger Sporting Lisbon teenager Joelson Fernandes’ £40m release clause ‘imminently’ Comment Visit Advertiser website GO TO PAGE Metro Sport ReporterSaturday 18 Jul 2020 2:38 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link3.5kShares Read More The Gunners are one of a number of European clubs looking at the starlet (Picture: Getty Images)Arsenal are reportedly willing to trigger the release clause of Sporting Lisbon phenomenon Joelson Fernandes in an effort to beat the likes of Barcelona and Juventus to his signature.The 17-year-old is the latest winger to come through Sporting’s prestigious academy, which has produced the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, Nani and Ricardo Quaresma.He has trained with the first-team sporadically for over a year and made his debut when the Portuguese league restarted last month, going on to make two further appearances. Coming Next Read More PLAY / Although that seems enormous for such a young and inexperienced player, A Bola report that several clubs, including Arsenal, are now seriously weighing up paying the fee to land Fernandes now before the price gets any higher.The Portuguese newspaper claims Arsenal have shown the most interest in agreeing a deal for Fernandes this summer and a £40m offer, which would activate his release clause, is ‘imminent’.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing ArsenalFernandes’ agent is Kia Joorabchian, who has developed close ties to Arsenal in recent years – and particularly since head of football Raul Sanllehi moved to north London.The agent played a large role in talks to sign David Luiz up to a new two-year contract and has offered a number of players to Arsenal already, with clients Philippe Coutinho and Willian both potential summer targets for the Gunners. Advertisement Top articles Advertisement Read More 1 min. story by Metro Skip Ad Rio Ferdinand tells Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop struggling Fernandes is regarded as the next top talent on the Sporting conveyor belt (Picture: Getty)Sporting have been keen to try and extend Fernandes’ contract until 2025 and want to double his release clause, which currently stands at €45million (£40m).AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT 1/1 SPONSORED Skip Manchester United captain Harry Maguire Arsenal hope their relationship with Joorabchian could give them an advantage in the race to sign Fernandes, while Barca and Juventus’ finances have both been severely affected by the coronavirus crisis.Speaking about the speculation surrounding his future earlier this year, Fernandes said: ‘It is very flattering and I think it represents the value of my work.‘I did not look at that alleged interest very much, I am happy where I am and fighting to achieve my dream, which is to play for Sporting’s first team. Nobody has told me about this extension offer yet. Besides, I try not to think about these things too much. I just want to play football.’MORE: Villarreal confirm Santi Cazorla is leaving the club amid links with a return to Arsenal as Mikel Arteta’s coachMORE: Arsenal’s old academy manager reveals club had serious doubts over Bukayo Saka’s ability until Freddie Ljungberg intervenedFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page. Video Settings Read More About Connatix V67539 Read More Full Screen
LocalNews Christians march and pray in the streets of Roseau by: – November 26, 2011 33 Views 2 comments Share Sharing is caring! Tweet Share Share Christian march in the streets on SaturdayThe Youth Department of The Trinity Baptist Church held it bi-annual purity march on Saturday in the streets of Roseau.This event was celebrated under the theme ‘Appointed to Impact – I in Dat’; a call young people to take a stand and make a positive difference in society by touching the lives of those around them, with each one reaching one for a better society.It is also an appeal to unmarried men and women to wait until marriage to have sex and thereby keeping themselves pure and free from Sexually Transmitted Diseases.The marchers were dressed in white as a sign of purity, waving rags and posters.Here are a few photographs of Saturday’s march:[nggallery id=93]The Trinity Baptist Church Youth Department has been organizing this rally for the past 7 years, the first year being 2005 under the theme ‘Keep Your Underwear On – No Ring, No Ting!’ – A call to unmarried men and women to wait until marriage to have sex. The next purity rally is scheduled for November 2013.Dominica Vibes News
North Decatur High School Girls Varsity Volleyball beat Jac-Cen-Del High School 3-0. 25-13, 25-21, 25-17.The North Decatur Chargers move to 5-4 on the season! JV also won as well, in 2 quick sets! Jenna Geis had an impressive game at the net tonight hitting 15/17 with 10 kills and 1 solo block! Erika Kramer adder 11 kills, 1 solo block and served 15/15 with 3 aces. Kara Muckerheide once again led our offense setting 94/95 with 33 assists! Rounding out the stats, Madelyn Bohman has 6 kills, Emma Luttel 4 aces, Olivia Bohman 13 digs and Anna Burkhart 8 digs. JV won in 2: 25-14 25-15Lainey Crites played with a lot of hustle and had 12 assists on the night & 4 aces. Caroline Stapp added 7 digs and Erin Schwering has 5 kills! Great pair of wins tonight for the Chargers!Courtesy of Chargers Coach Ashley Gauck.North Decatur Girls 8th Grade Volleyball falls to St. Mary’s School 2-0. 25-14, 25-16.The 8th grade had some good rallies but were unable to come away with the win. Kacie Ogden was the leading server with 8 points in the first match while Alana Osborn served up 6 in the second match. Lexey Simmonds, Ella Kunz and Madison Motz each had a kill.Courtesy of Chargers Coach Becky Bingham.North Decatur Girls 7th Grade Volleyball beat St. Mary’s School 2-0. 25-18, 25-6.The 7th grade Lady Chargers dominated the match with excellent serving. Hannah Gorrell led scoring with 24 pts with 20 aces and no errors. Sydney Rohls also scored 14 pts with 8 aces. Claire Kinker and Ally Whitaker both had strong passing nights with 6 good passes each. Setters Hannah Gorrell and Kelsey Haley set up the leading hitters Sydney Rohls and Kelsey Haley who had 3 kills each. Anna Mauer, Ally Whitaker, Kelsey Haley, Hannah Gorrell all had no missed serves for the match.Courtesy of Chargers Coach Molly Waechter.
Mathieu Debuchy has insisted he is staying at Newcastle amid speculation that he could make a swift return to France. The 27-year-old France international full-back was one of five January signings drafted in to help the Magpies avoid relegation from the Barclays Premier League. However, after a difficult first few months on Tyneside, he has spent the summer break listening to rumours that big-spending Paris St Germain and Monaco were ready to battle it out to take him home. But Debuchy told the Chronicle: “I don’t know about the rumours saying I have been contacted by Paris or Monaco. I feel good in Newcastle. I want to stay In England. I love the Premier League.” Press Association Debuchy is one of a series of players has been given an additional few days’ holiday after heading away on international duty at the end of the domestic season, and he is expected back at the training ground next week. The bulk of the players will return in stages over the next three days and undergo fitness assessment before pre-season begins in earnest at the weekend. They will do so with significant changes having been made behind the scenes with the arrival of director of football Joe Kinnear and the subsequent departure of managing director Derek Llambias having altered the dynamics behind the scenes. Kinnear is currently attempting to implement the recruitment plan drawn up between he, manager Alan Pardew and chief scout Graham Carr in an attempt to avoid a repeat of last season’s troubles. Debuchy and his fellow new arrivals were thrown in at the deep end as Newcastle belatedly moved to strengthen the squad during the winter transfer window, and the defender admits it was something of a culture shock. He said: “For me, the Premier League was a big discovery. Everything is much harder than it is in France. The game is faster and the teams are better, even the small teams. “I also had to learn a new language as I did not speak English. It was complicated, but right now it is better. I love England, even if it is different.”
Press Association Arsenal midfielder Santi Cazorla admits he would like to see Cesc Fabregas to come back to the Gunners as speculation mounts about a Barclays Premier League return for the Barcelona midfielder. Fabregas was a big hit during his eight-year spell at Arsenal and was given the captain’s armband in 2008 before securing a dream move back to Barcelona in 2011. However, with Barca set for a period of rebuilding under new coach Luis Enrique following a rare barren season, Fabregas has been widely linked with a return to England this summer. Chelsea are said to be frontrunners for the 27-year-old but Cazorla, who is part of Spain’s World Cup squad alongside Fabregas, hopes the midfielder ends up back at the Emirates. He was quoted by the Spanish press: “I’ve read that he could go to Chelsea but I’d prefer him to come to Arsenal because he’s a great player and they really love him there. “I don’t know what his future is, but I hope that he will be happy and enjoys the team wherever he is.” Cazorla, who joined Arsenal in 2012, also defended Fabregas’ displays in the Primera Division, adding: “I don’t think there’s a big difference between Cesc’s performances in the Premier League and La Liga. “His statistics are great at Barcelona but he’s not valued the same as in England. There’s no difference in his numbers, he’s adapted perfectly to both leagues.”