SEATTLE, WA – DECEMBER 20: Quarterback Johnny Manziel #2 of the Cleveland Browns leaves the field after a football game against the Seattle Seahawks at CenturyLink Field on December 20, 2015 in Seattle, Washington. The Seahawks won the game 30-13. (Photo by Stephen Brashear/Getty Images)Johnny Manziel’s time in the Canadian Football League has come to an end, as the league has essentially banned the former Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback from playing in its league effective this afternoon.The CFL announced on social media that Manziel, 26, has been released by the Montreal Alouettes and he’s not allowed to be signed by another team.“We are disappointed by this turn of events. Johnny was provided a great deal of support by our organization, in collaboration with the CFL, but he has been unable to abide by the terms of his agreement,” Montreal General Manager Kavis Reed in a statement. “We worked with the league and presented alternatives to Johnny, who was unwilling to proceed.”🚨BREAKING NEWS🚨The @MTLAlouettes have released QB Johnny Manziel.FOR MORE | https://t.co/IbobgzO908 pic.twitter.com/mzVY5dn4BK— CFL (@CFL) February 27, 2019It’s another rough step for a quarterback who’s had a lot of them with his football career in recent years.What’s next for Manziel?The quarterback appears to have two options when it comes to his football career: playing in the Alliance of American Football league or playing in the XFL.The AAF could be an immediate option for Manziel, as the league debuted a couple of weeks ago and features a couple of notable coaches, like Steve Spurrier.The XFL, meanwhile, feels like a more natural fit for Manziel and his style (both on the field and off of it), but it doesn’t debut until 2020.Manziel has previously spoken highly of both leagues.“It’s great for football, it’s great for the guys who need more opportunity, need more film and time to play. I don’t know exactly what my exact steps will be for the next years coming up, but at least there’s a lot of options,” Manziel said on Barstool Sports Comeback SZN podcast.“Me and E.B. [agent Erik Burkhardt] are fully committed to playing ball and trying to get into the best situation possible and that’s what it’s all about.”At this point, though, his specific plans are unclear.
According to the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), which is coordinating the two-week long warning exercise through its Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC), around 75 per cent of the world’s tsunamis occur in the Pacific Ocean and connected seas.UNESCO says the region has been struck by four tsunamis in the past five years: Samoa, American Samoa, and Tonga were hit in 2009; Chile in 2010; Japan in 2011; and the Solomon Islands in 2013. In addition, an average of one or two local tsunamis has struck worldwide every year over the past century.The test, which runs from 1 May to 14 May, comes on the heels of a similar tsunami warning exercise conducted in the Caribbean in March and will aim to validate new tsunami forecasting products slated for adoption next year. In a news release confirming the test, called Exercise Pacific Wave 2013, UNESCO noted that the enhancements would help the 39 countries involved improve their response capability in the event of a tsunami and were “to reduce significantly the number of areas warned unnecessarily and to help provide advanced notice of potential local tsunamis.”Exercise Pacific Wave 2013, also known as PacWave13, will simulate a tsunami warning situation requiring Government decision-making regarding three scenarios for possible earthquakes occurring either off the northern coasts of Japan, the Philippines or Chile, which will generate destructive tsunamis, said UNESCO.Each Pacific country participating in the exercise will select one of these three scenarios with the evaluation of the outcome expected for 31 May.