Outstanding transactions at Phoenix pay centre surpass 500000 says minister

first_imgOTTAWA – The backlog of outstanding pay problems faced by federal civil servants has now reached a staggering 520,000, the minister responsible for the problem-plagued Phoenix pay system has revealed in a letter of apology to government employees.That number is expected to grow further, Public Services and Procurement Minister Carla Qualtrough said in the letter being circulated to federal civil servants over the next couple of days, which was provided to The Canadian Press.“I am truly sorry that more than half of public servants continue to experience some form of pay issue,” the minister’s letter states. “Too many of you have been waiting too long for your pay.”“Your stories of hardship caused by the backlog of financial transactions keep me awake at night.”The outstanding transactions include non-financial requests from employees, such as changes to banking or home address information.But it also includes 265,000 cases in which government workers have been underpaid, overpaid, or not paid at all and have waited beyond what the government considers an acceptable period of time for their issues to be resolved.In the letter, Qualtrough repeated what she and her predecessor in the portfolio have been saying for months — that the situation is “unacceptable.”And she emphasized that anyone working in government who is experiencing financial hardship as a result of pay problems can request an emergency salary advance.One major factor that has prevented the government from reducing the pay issue backlog was the recent need to retroactively adjust the paycheques of government workers after new collective agreements were ratified.So far, roughly 184,000 government employees have seen their paycheques adjusted to the new contracts, the minister said.But another 20,000 collective agreement payments have yet to be processed and the number is expected to grow in coming weeks as more renewed contracts come into force.Qualtrough said dealing with the pay system backlog will continue to be a slow process as the government seeks a “permanent solution” to the Phoenix debacle.But her letter made no mention of a call this week by one of the country’s biggest civil service unions to build an in-house pay system and to scrap the Phoenix system altogether.The Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada said earlier this week that IT professionals already working within government can build and thoroughly test a new pay system within a year.The government has so far earmarked $400 million to fix the system and to deal with the existing pay backlog, partly by hiring more pay administrators at centres in Quebec and New Brunswick. But Qualtrough said in an interview aired last weekend that she could not guarantee the amount wouldn’t reach $1 billion.The government hasn’t hired nearly enough people, quickly enough, to deal with the massive backlog of pay cases, the Public Service Alliance of Canada said Thursday.“The government needs to step up its hiring process and expand the compensation capacity both in the pay centres and in departments,” said PSAC national president Robyn Benson.Initiated by the previous Conservative government in 2009, the Phoenix system was meant to streamline the payroll of public servants across dozens of departments and agencies, and save more than $70 million annually.In a joint statement issued Thursday, Qualtrough and Treasury Board President Scott Brison again accused the Conservatives of saddling the government with a “botched” system.“They rushed the design and implementation, did not train staff, all while firing 700 experienced pay advisers who were needed to make sure public servants were paid on time,” said the statement.The Conservatives have denied responsibility for the debacle, saying it was the Liberals, elected in 2015, who ultimately failed to heed warnings from civil service unions that the system wasn’t ready before fully launching it in April 2016.A report from an auditor general’s review of the Phoenix pay system problems is expected to be made public next week.— Follow @tpedwell on Twitterlast_img read more

Read More

Ottawa hopes Ontario will make informed decision on overdose prevention sites

first_imgTORONTO – Canada’s health minister is offering to share the federal government’s research on overdose prevention and supervised consumption sites with Ontario as the province weighs whether to allow such facilities to continue operating.Ginette Petitpas Taylor said Wednesday she hopes Ontario’s Progressive Conservative government will make an “informed decision” when it comes to the sites, noting the province has not specified what data it will be examining as part of its review.“That is exactly why it’s important to reach out to them and to provide them with the data that we have,” she said in an interview with The Canadian Press.“We have a lot of data that we’ve collected with respect to the importance of harm reduction and that safe consumption sites, supervised consumption sites…work, they save lives. So we certainly want to be able to share that information with them and I hope that they’ll be making an informed decision based on the data that we have.”The Ontario government announced last month that it was halting the opening of new overdose prevention sites while it conducts its review. The province’s health minister, Christine Elliott, has said a decision on the sites will be made by the end of September.The moratorium was condemned by more than 100 health groups, who said the move was putting lives at risk. Advocates said a string of overdose deaths in Toronto last month shows there is urgent need for more facilities, and urged the province to reverse its decision.Premier Doug Ford has said the province is reaching out to experts to get their input on overdose prevention sites. He has also said the government’s goal is to save lives and get people off drugs and into rehab.A spokeswoman for Elliott reiterated the point in an emailed statement Wednesday, noting that the review also includes discussions with community members and people who have lived through addiction.Hayley Chazan wrote that the goal is “to ensure that any continuation of drug injection sites introduce people into rehabilitation and ensure those struggling with addiction get the help they need.”Overdose prevention sites are approved by the province and are temporary facilities set up to address an immediate need in a community, while safe injection sites are more permanent locations approved by the federal government after a more extensive application process.Petitpas Taylor, who was in Toronto to attend a symposium on what health officials have deemed to be an opioid crisis, said she has yet to meet with her provincial counterpart but would seek to arrange a meeting on the issue.The federal minister is expected to announce new measures to increase access to treatment for substance abuse on Thursday.More than 3,800 people died from opioids in Canada in 2017, compared to 2,978 in 2016, according to the latest figures by Canada’s health agency published last June.last_img read more

Read More