Sunday racing resumes at Caymanas Park today with a nine-race programme commencing at 12:50 p.m. The feature event is the annual renewal of the Joseph Armond Memorial Trophy restricted allowance race over 1820 metres to be contested by eight native bred three-year-olds. They include top contenders BIG BLACK NATION, BLUE PEPSI LINKS, ACAPULCO, and the recent winner, PIANO MAN. With three-time champion jockey Dane Nelson down to ride the Patrick Lynch-trained ACAPULCO, the three-year-old colt has most appeal on the strength of his close second to DELIGHTFUL BRENDA over 2000 metres recently. Elsewhere on the programme, the 2014 Guineas and Lotto Classic winner, TALENTED TONY K, is a strong fancy to win the overnight allowance race over the straight ahead of old rival DREAMLINER and GARY GLITTER. He showed his usual dash when finishing second in a hot sprint recently, and being the joint track record holder for the distance (56.1), should take a lot of catching with Nelson aboard. Other firm fancies on the card are DIFERENTGENERATION, to repeat in the third race over the straight, FRANKENSTORM in the fourth, and Nelson’s mount SHARP SKIRT in the sixth.
15 July 2011 Pretoria Portland Cement (PPC) expects its new US$102-million (R699-million) mill in Pretoria to increase capacity by 30 percent, Business Report reported on Friday.The news followed even as the firm battled flagging sales due to an industry-wide slump.PPC, South Africa’s biggest cement maker, is under pressure in its home market, where the construction industry is struggling to bounce back after a 2009 recession.Managing director of the company’s cement operations, Salim Kader, said that PPC, which has the capacity to produce eight-million tons of cement, expected the new mill at its Hercules plant to boost capacity by 30 percent.The mill was commissioned last year.PPC, which said in May that it was eyeing expansion elsewhere in Africa to compensate for weak sales at home, said it would upgrade its other plants within three to five years.South African Press Association
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Sugar will be viewed from many perspectives — history, business ethics, health and nutrition, social justice and, yes, tasting it — when Wilmington College presents its seventh annual Food Symposium March 30.Devised using the theme “Sugar Rushed,” the program will feature a combination of film, food, fun and informed opinions on one of nature’s sweetest and, in recent years, most controversial products.The day will open in Hugh G. Heiland Theatre with a screening of Michele Hozer’s Canadian documentary film, Sugar-Coated, from 10 to 11:40 a.m., followed by a food expo in which agriculture professor Tom Stilwell’s World Foods class will share dishes made from a variety of sugar crops from 11:45 a.m. to 1 p.m.Again this year, the symposium will have a student focus in both planning and presentation, as an interdisciplinary student research panel will present its finidings on all things sugar: history, marketing, nutrition, etc., from 1 to 2 p.m., in the McCoy Room of Kelly Center. Also, a sugar cube sculpture competition will be featured in which contestants can create sculptures out of sugar cubes, using no more than three ingredients: sugar cubes, glue and a coloring of choice.On the heels of past competitions featuring pies, cakes and cookies, this year’s contest, which is open to both the campus and community, will highlight candy-making.Categories include: dipped/covered (such as buckeyes and truffles), pulled/hard/gummies (taffy, rock candy), brittles/barks/toffee bars, diabetic friendly, caramels/fudge/pralines and novelty (specially design such as candies for holidays). Each entry must include a list of ingredients as a precaution for persons allergic to various nuts or other ingredients. The registration form can be found at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HCPYLJVThe audience will be able to sample contest entries from 2:15 to 3:15 p.m. in the McCoy Room. The symposium will culminate with a panel highlighting “Sugar and Wellness” featuring professionals speaking on nutrition, diabetes, activity and low-sugar cooking, from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m., in the McCoy Room.
The Anti-Narcotics Cell of Goa Crime Branch has filed three separate chargesheets against the three accused arrested for running a drug racket in north coastal belt of Goa in March this year.Superintendent of Police Umesh Gaonkar, Crime Branch in-charge, Goa Police, said the Anti-Narcotics Cell filed the chargesheets in the District and Sessions Court on Monday.David Johnson, a British national, Yusuf Mohammad, a resident of Chennai, and Ganesh Pondir, hailing from Himachal Pradesh, have been charged under various sections of the Narcotics Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act.The Anti-Narcotics Cell arrested Mohammad from Anjuna village seized narcotics such as methamphetamine and LSD from his possession. Johnson was picked up from another location in Anjuna village. Methylenedioxymethamphetamine and ecstasy tablets were seized from his possession. Based on the interrogation of the two accused , the police arrested the third accused, Ganesh, from Arambol beach in Pernem taluk of North Goa for allegedly possessing charas.
TweetPinShare0 Shares NEW YORK — A New York judge on Nov. 16 rejected the requests of daily fantasy sports operators DraftKings and FanDuel for temporary restraining orders to block the state attorney general’s attempt to shut them down.In separate complaints filed Nov. 13 in state Supreme Court in Manhattan, FanDuel and DraftKings first asked a judge for an injunction, arguing that Attorney General Eric Schneiderman wrongly characterized their businesses as illegal gambling operations.On Nov. 16, Boston-based DraftKings and New York-based FanDuel asked Justice Manuel Mendez for an immediate restraining order to stop Schneiderman until they can present their case. Each said they face irreparable damage otherwise.DraftKings said it has 375,000 New Yorkers among some 2.5 million players, and that the attorney general told its vendors in letters that it was at risk of not doing business in New York anymore.FanDuel said it has over 1 million users, with “hundreds of thousands” in New York whose deposits it has been unable to process since Nov. 13.The company blamed that on Schneiderman’s office, saying it has already contacted the bank and payment processors handling FanDuel’s customer deposits and withdrawals, deterring them from continuing.Schneiderman’s lawyers told Mendez at a hearing late Nov. 16 that they hadn’t done anything to actually prevent the companies from doing business in New York, and therefore he couldn’t issue an order to stop it.Mendez agreed. “They have not taken action yet to somehow enjoin the plaintiff from continuing to engage in their business here in New York,” he said. He ordered them back to court on Nov. 25.The case began with cease and desist letters sent by the attorney general last week, warning DraftKings and FanDuel they should stop conducting illegal gambling in New York.DraftKings and FanDuel argue that they offer games of skill, not of chance, as defined New York’s gambling laws.DraftKings said it was “confident in our legal position” and intended to keep operating in the state.____By Deepti Hajela. AP writer Michael Virtanen in Albany, New York, contributed