20 February 2008The Petroleum, Oil and Gas Corporation of South Africa’s (PetroSA’s) plans to build a crude refinery at the Coega industrial development zone outside Port Elizabeth have been given a boost, with the announcement on Monday that the state-owned oil company has been chosen as the preferred investor for earmarked land.“Planning for the new refinery is well under way,” PetroSA CEO Sipho Mkhize said in a statement on Monday. “Design is well-advanced and we are in discussion with several local and international parties who have expressed interest in possible financial and operating partnerships.”According to the company, a final decision on the investment, said to be worth about R39-billion, will be made around 2010, once the technical and commercial aspects have been clarified.Mkhize said that while it was being built to secure future fuel supplies in the country, the decision to locate the refinery at Coega was not solely based on commercial criteria.“This location also considers national interests such as alternate strategic access, port decongestion, wealth-generation equalisation and potential environmental impact,” Mkhize said. “PetroSA’s planning includes the provision of new oil terminals and upgrades at Cape Town, Mossel Bay, Port Elizabeth, Durban and Gauteng.”Project MthomboDubbed Project Mthombo, the proposed crude oil refinery is expected to produce about 250 000 barrels of fuel a day and is due to be operational by 2014.“Project Mthombo will be one of the biggest post-2010 investments in South Africa,” Mkhize said at the time of the project’s announcement late last year. “It is estimated that the project will generate about 5 000 direct jobs during operations and 20 000 indirect jobs.”The project, he said, would also significantly improve South Africa’s fuels import bill, serving to “redefine South Africa’s energy landscape.”Based on the current growth rate of demand for fuel, Mkhize said that building a new crude oil refinery within the next five to seven years would be fully justified.“The demand for automotive fuels in southern Africa already exceeds the local production capacity, and South Africa is becoming increasingly dependent on the import of refined automotive products.”Coega IDZAccording to PetroSA, the Coega industrial development zone (IDZ) was chosen as the site for the proposed new refinery after a thorough and independent screening of five potential locations around South Africa.The oil company said that Coega offered world-class infrastructure, was ideally located near growing demand centres in the Eastern and Western Cape and had sufficient land available for secondary industries to develop around the refinery.PetroSA added that it believed that strong and complementary partnerships would be required to carry out a project of such a size and nature, both to mitigate any project related risk and to enhance the commercial and financial viability of the project.“These partnerships will be established across the crude refining value chain, from the supply of crude oil, through the erection and operation of the refinery to the distribution and marketing of the automotive products,” Mkhize said.“PetroSA is already in discussion with various potential partners to help bring Project Mthombo to fruition.”SAinfo reporter Want to use this article in your publication or on your website?See: Using SAinfo material
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Bournemouth boss Howe: Southampton clash will be really feistyby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveBournemouth boss Eddie Howe expects the tackles to fly tomorrow night against Southampton.Southampton meet traditional rivals Portsmouth in the Carabao Cup on Tuesday, but Howe feels Bournemouth’s games against the Saints are “gaining in everybody’s focus”.”It should be a really feisty game, a really good atmosphere and an entertaining match,” Bournemouth boss Howe told Sky Sports. “Southampton have started very well, too.”It’s gaining in everybody’s focus. The more games we have, the more the rivalry will intensify I think.”We’ve enjoyed the games against Southampton which have been tight and tough, from both clubs’ perspectives. We’re looking forward to another entertaining match.”
HALIFAX – (Liberals-Caregivers)The Liberals say they will spend $25 million expanding eligibility for the caregiver benefit over four years.The program gives about $400 a month to those caring for people with severe dementia.Premier Stephen McNeil says the program would be expanded to include 400 people who care for those with lower levels of dementia this year and another 1,200 people caring for those with mental illness in 2018.He says the change will mean about 1,600 more Nova Scotians will qualify for financial help.(The Canadian Press)—(NSHA-Executive-Furniture)The NDP released documents showing the Nova Scotia Health Authority spent nearly $500,000 on new furniture and renovations for its executive offices.The documents show the furniture cost over $257,000 while the renovations came in at just under $195,000.NDP Leader Gary Burrill says after cuts to long-term care in particular, Premier Stephen McNeil owes an explanation for the expenses.McNeil says the cost of the furniture “makes no sense to me,” and spending that kind of money at a time when money is needed for care in the health system is “excessive and inappropriate.”(The Canadian Press)—(NSElxn-Tories)Nova Scotia’s Progressive Conservatives are promising to bring back a refundable film tax credit.Tory Leader Jamie Baillie has announced $34 million to revive the credit in a bid to aid the film and TV industry.He says the industry was set back when the Liberals controversially axed the tax in 2015.—(NSElxn-NDP)The NDP are pledging to restore funding for seniors’ care if elected May 30th.Leader Gary Burrill says $60 million over four years would be put towards long-term care for seniors.Burrill says he would also freeze pharmacare premiums and lobby for a national pharmacare plan.(The Canadian Press)—(Party-Nominations)Elections Nova Scotia says nominations for the May 30 vote have closed.It says 203 candidates have been nominated in the province’s 51 electoral districts.The Liberals, Tories and NDP have candidates in all 51 ridings.The Green Party has nominated 32 candidates while the Atlantica Party is running 15 and there are three Independents.(The Canadian Press)—(N.S. Election Roundup by The Canadian Press)
OTTAWA – The backlog of outstanding pay problems faced by federal civil servants has now reached a staggering 520,000, the minister responsible for the problem-plagued Phoenix pay system has revealed in a letter of apology to government employees.That number is expected to grow further, Public Services and Procurement Minister Carla Qualtrough said in the letter being circulated to federal civil servants over the next couple of days, which was provided to The Canadian Press.“I am truly sorry that more than half of public servants continue to experience some form of pay issue,” the minister’s letter states. “Too many of you have been waiting too long for your pay.”“Your stories of hardship caused by the backlog of financial transactions keep me awake at night.”The outstanding transactions include non-financial requests from employees, such as changes to banking or home address information.But it also includes 265,000 cases in which government workers have been underpaid, overpaid, or not paid at all and have waited beyond what the government considers an acceptable period of time for their issues to be resolved.In the letter, Qualtrough repeated what she and her predecessor in the portfolio have been saying for months — that the situation is “unacceptable.”And she emphasized that anyone working in government who is experiencing financial hardship as a result of pay problems can request an emergency salary advance.One major factor that has prevented the government from reducing the pay issue backlog was the recent need to retroactively adjust the paycheques of government workers after new collective agreements were ratified.So far, roughly 184,000 government employees have seen their paycheques adjusted to the new contracts, the minister said.But another 20,000 collective agreement payments have yet to be processed and the number is expected to grow in coming weeks as more renewed contracts come into force.Qualtrough said dealing with the pay system backlog will continue to be a slow process as the government seeks a “permanent solution” to the Phoenix debacle.But her letter made no mention of a call this week by one of the country’s biggest civil service unions to build an in-house pay system and to scrap the Phoenix system altogether.The Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada said earlier this week that IT professionals already working within government can build and thoroughly test a new pay system within a year.The government has so far earmarked $400 million to fix the system and to deal with the existing pay backlog, partly by hiring more pay administrators at centres in Quebec and New Brunswick. But Qualtrough said in an interview aired last weekend that she could not guarantee the amount wouldn’t reach $1 billion.The government hasn’t hired nearly enough people, quickly enough, to deal with the massive backlog of pay cases, the Public Service Alliance of Canada said Thursday.“The government needs to step up its hiring process and expand the compensation capacity both in the pay centres and in departments,” said PSAC national president Robyn Benson.Initiated by the previous Conservative government in 2009, the Phoenix system was meant to streamline the payroll of public servants across dozens of departments and agencies, and save more than $70 million annually.In a joint statement issued Thursday, Qualtrough and Treasury Board President Scott Brison again accused the Conservatives of saddling the government with a “botched” system.“They rushed the design and implementation, did not train staff, all while firing 700 experienced pay advisers who were needed to make sure public servants were paid on time,” said the statement.The Conservatives have denied responsibility for the debacle, saying it was the Liberals, elected in 2015, who ultimately failed to heed warnings from civil service unions that the system wasn’t ready before fully launching it in April 2016.A report from an auditor general’s review of the Phoenix pay system problems is expected to be made public next week.— Follow @tpedwell on Twitter
OSU sophomore forward Lindsay Agnew (20) throws the ball into play Oct. 24 in a match against Iowa at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. OSU lost, 2-1. Credit: Regina Bonfiglio / Lantern photographerWhile trying to keep its hopes of making the Big Ten Tournament alive, the Ohio State women’s soccer team fell to Iowa, but bounced back against Nebraska.The Buckeyes (6-9-3, 3-6-3) and Cornhuskers (7-9-2, 3-7-2) played to a scoreless first half on Sunday before OSU broke through with three goals in the second.Before the barrage of goals, OSU entered halftime with a 4-1 lead in shots and 2-1 lead in shots on goal. Coach Lori Walker said the team contained the Cornhuskers’ offense through teamwork.“Everything for us recently has just been about taking care of ourselves and not giving away opportunities for other teams to capitalize on,” Walker said. “You do that by playing together and playing as a united group.”Things picked up in the second half when Nebraska senior forward Mayme Conroy scored the first goal of the game off an assist from junior defender Jaylyn Odermann to give Nebraska a 1-0 lead in the 57th minute.The Buckeyes responded in the 76th minute when a cross from sophomore forward Nichelle Prince allowed freshman forward Sammy Edwards to tie the game.OSU went ahead in the 87th minute after freshman midfielder Nikki Walts nailed a 22-yard shot. The Buckeyes cemented the victory after Prince finished a breakaway into an empty net in the 90th minute to give OSU the 3-1 win.The Buckeyes outshot Nebraska, 25-7, in the game.Senior midfielder Ellyn Gruber said the Cornhuskers’ style of play was a challenge but OSU was able to match it.“They were very physical and very aggressive,” Gruber said. “I think we handled that aggression very well and played physical right back.”Walker praised the team’s ability to respond after giving up a goal in the second half. “If anyone has had the best training in adversity this season, it’s been our squad,” Walker said. “We got down and were able to pick ourselves back up.” The win was the first for the Buckeyes since defeating Northwestern on Sept. 28. OSU had gone 0-3-3 since that game. Prince said getting the win felt like the culmination of the stretch. “We’ve been on a very long journey,” Prince said. “We’ve been working really hard and it’s been hard to get results, but we’ve pushed through and haven’t given up yet.”It was a different story when the Buckeyes played Iowa on Friday. The Hawkeyes took the early lead after senior forward Cloe Lacasse put a header in the back of the OSU net in the fifth minute. The rest of the first half remained quiet as the Hawkeyes took a 1-0 lead into halftime. Iowa scored again, as a free kick from senior defender Melanie Pickert doubled the lead in the 80th minute. OSU got on the board in the 86th minute after Prince converted off an assist from sophomore forward Taylor Schissler. The Buckeyes weren’t able to tie it up, giving Iowa the 2-1 win.The Buckeyes are scheduled to play their final game of the regular season against Rutgers on Friday at 7 p.m. at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.
Facebook Twitter: @NeosKosmos Instagram The Greek Glenti in Darwin is just around the corner, so be sure to leave the weekend of 9 – 10 June free to celebrate in the largest ethnic party in the Northern Territory. The Greek Glenti, held at historic Bicentennial Park in Darwin, is a fun and vibrant festival where the Greek community shares their culture, food, wine, dance and music with locals and visitors. The Glenti consists of local and interstate entertainment and acts and besides being able to eat Greek food, you can see people wearing traditional Greek clothing, be enlightened by the Greek culture, listen to Greek music, and see traditional dancing and much more. The Greek Glenti will be held at Bicentennial Park in Darwin on Saturday 9 and Sunday 10 June at midday.
The Portuguese news outlet A Bola have reported that Tottenham Hotspur plot a January swoop for Porto captain Hector Herrera, whose market value stands at around €8 million.According to the same source, the Spurs would like to beat the competition from Barcelona, Inter Milan, Roma, and Arsenal, and grab the 28-year-old midfielder as early as next winter.With Mousa Dembele’s contract set to expire at the end of the ongoing season, and with Victor Wanyama and Moussa Sissoko’s struggle to live up to expectations, Mauricio Pochettino is forced to rush into the market to keep his side competitive on multiple fronts.Virgil van Dijk praises Roberto Firmino after Liverpool’s win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Virgil van Dijk hailed team-mate Roberto Firmino after coming off the bench to inspire Liverpool to a 3-1 comeback win against Newcastle United.Meanwhile, Herrera’s contract is also about to run down in less than a year, and in case Azuis e brancos opt to refuse eventual offers in January, he might leave Estadio do Dragao without a compensation fee next summer.Already established as one of the most solid midfielders in the Portuguese Primeira Liga, the former Pachuca man is known for his pinpoint passing and vision, which is the main reason Pochettino would like to see him in the Premier League.However, considering the fierce competition and Porto’s stubbornness when it comes to negotiations, the north London outfit will have to put maximum effort to close the deal.
The Alaska State Troopers responded to the incident at an address on Stovall Ave in Anchor Point, and arrested Roy Burke, 40, of Homer. Burke also took items from inside the house and fled the scene in a vehicle. Further investigation by Troopers showed Burke was on conditions of release from another criminal case. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享A Homer man was arrested for entering a residence without permission and assaulting several people inside the residence with bear spray, on May 8. According to the Troopers Burke had entered the residence without permission and assaulted several people inside the residence with bear spray. According to an online Trooper dispatch, an arrest warrant was issued for Burke. Burke was contacted and arrested later the same night and transported to Wildwood Pretrial facility.
TEWKSBURY, MA — The Buzz, an award-winning ensemble in both the national competitions of The Barbershop Harmony Society and Sweet Adelines, is hosting their last ever New England performance on Saturday, September 8 at 7pm at the Tewksbury-Wilmington Elks (777 South Street).This musical party happening, filled with great performances, is largely organized by members of the Wilmington-based Merrimack Valley Acappella, a chorus of over 40 women, from communities all over the area.The concert will feature performances from several other top quartets, including Saffron.Tickets cost $25 and can be purchased online HERE.Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedWilmington-Based Merrimack Valley A Cappella Chorus Presents Spring Cabaret On April 28In “Community”Wilmington-Based Merrimack Valley Chorus To Hold Concert On April 24In “Community”MISSING WEDDING BAND: Keep An Eye Out Around Elia’s Or Tewksbury-Wilmington ElksIn “Community”