TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say DONE DEAL? Cowley making Simpson his first signing as Huddersfield managerby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveDan Cowley has made Danny Simpson his first signing as Huddersfield Town manager.The Sun says the former Leicester City fullback has agreed a deal with Huddersfield until the end of the season.Cowley wanted experience in his squad to get the Terriers out of trouble and turned to 32-year-old to provide competition at right-back.Huddersfield currently sit bottom of the Championship with just one point from eight games and are six points adrift of safety already.Jan Siewert was axed in August after a run of one win in 19 matches – which included relegation from the Premier League – before Cowley and brother Nicky joined from Lincoln earlier this month.
“Early childhood educators are the heart of B.C.’s child care system, and their passion and dedication are key to setting B.C. kids on the path to future success,” said Katrine Conroy, B.C.’s Minister of Children and Family Development. “As we build new licensed child care spaces, we know that we also need to build the ECE workforce. Our government appreciates the important work early childhood educators do every day, and with this strategy, we aim to support ECEs throughout their career – because when we invest in child care, everyone benefits.”Through the new strategy, the B.C. government aims to encourage more people to become or stay on career paths as early childhood educators. By improving recruitment and retention, the government said that more B.C. families will have access to stable child care programs. Child care providers have cited lack of qualified early childhood educators as a key hiring challenge in recent years.Under the new strategy childcare workers at licensed facilities that have been approved for the Child Care Fee Reduction Initiative will be getting a $1-per-hour raise early next year, with another $1-per-hour raise in April 2020.A $10-million investment to fund an expanded ECE Education Support Fund was also announced to provide increased ECE Student bursaries and a new payment schedule to reimburse students sooner.Under ChildCare BC, the government says it will be spending more than $1 billion on child care over the next three years. VANCOUVER, B.C. – The provincial government announced today that thousands of childcare workers across B.C. will be getting wage boosts and new supports through the Province’s ChildCare BC plan.The B.C. government said today that it will be spending $136 million to support the new Early Care and Learning Recruitment and Retention Strategy, which will help support early childhood educators by providing wage enhancements, on-the-job training opportunities and other measures.The federal government announced that it would be providing $16.3 million in funding for bursaries and professional development.
Wellington: New Zealand’s intelligence minister said Wednesday he was allowing spy agencies to carry out “intrusive” activities following the Christchurch mosque shootings that claimed 50 lives. The government this week ordered a judicial inquiry into whether the South Pacific nation’s intelligence services could have prevented the March 15 attack amid criticism the white supremacist gunman went unnoticed as they were too focused on Muslim extremists. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from USAndrew Little — the minister responsible for the GCSB and SIS intelligence services — said he had signed powerful surveillance warrants as information gathering continued in the wake of the attack. “I have given authority to the agencies to do intrusive activities under warrant, the number of those (warrants) I’m not at liberty to disclose,” he told Radio New Zealand. Little said intelligence services typically monitored 30-40 people but that number had now increased, although he was unwilling to reveal by how much. Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential pollsHe said a warrant permitted anything from physical surveillance to the monitoring of telecommunications activity. “The whole gambit of what would otherwise be described as intrusive activity,” he told the New Zealand Herald. “The purpose of a warrant is to authorise and effectively make lawful what would otherwise be unlawful activity.” Little denied New Zealand had proved a “soft target” for the accused gunman, an Australian with apparent links to right-wing groups who reportedly moved to the country with the intention of carrying out an attack. Little said he maintained confidence in the intelligence services and until the inquiry into their actions was complete it was “premature” to say they had failed. “Until there’s a very microscopic look at what the agencies have been doing and whether they’ve missed anything, I can’t say for certain,” he told RNZ. “It’s important for me, the agencies, but ultimately for public confidence that we let that commission of inquiry do its job and reach its conclusions.” Meanwhile, police remained tight-lipped about two raids conducted by armed officers in Christchurch overnight. The raids took place at opposite ends of the city centre, the first at 8:00 pm (0700 GMT) Tuesday and the second around 1:00 am Wednesday.
Muzaffarnagar: A 16-year-old boy has committed suicide by consuming poison in Amit Vihar locality here, police said Saturday. According to Station House Officer Santosh Kumar Singh, the youth took the extreme step Friday when his parents were not in the house. The exact cause behind the suicide was not none as yet and further investigations were on, the SHO said. The body has been sent for post mortem, he added.
Jay Bruce1.1.84914.3 B. J. Upton3.0.78013.8 David Wright2.0.83549.7 Jurickson Profar1.7.678-0.1 Miguel Cabrera2.0.76259.4 Even the messiah can strike out three times on his first day in the majors. Last Friday, Kris Bryant, the Cubs’ anointed savior, was called up from the minors after weeks of debate about whether he should’ve just started the season in the majors. There is an aura of myth to Bryant’s arrival, as though the stars have aligned to offer the Cubs a chance to fulfill a prophecy. Yet Bryant is still an untested prospect, and, as Cubs fans know too well, even the best prospects can fail to live up to expectations.But Bryant really is special — he’s the rare prospect that has both scouts and stats in complete agreement. Because of the unique intersection of scouting know-how and minor league data, Bryant is likely to match the hype.Let’s start with the stats. In this case, all we have to go by are projection systems, which take the minor league data of previous prospects and compare it with their MLB results to predict what up-and-coming players will accomplish. That’s no easy task — the minor league data is sparse, and performance is confounded by the effects of the league and the age differences between players.In Bryant’s case, however, the projections are so high that there is little room for doubt. No matter whether you look at FanGraphs’ Steamer (.260/.333/.498) or Baseball Prospectus’s PECOTA (.265/.356/.525), all the algorithms are in agreement in their preseason projections: Bryant is going to be a fantastic hitter.1This kind of agreement among separate systems often means greater certainty in the resulting prediction. ESPN’s Dan Szymborski, who runs another algorithm called ZiPS, tweeted that Bryant’s is the best prediction he’s ever given to a prospect.There’s no mystery as to how Bryant arrived at these projections — the guy hit between 60 percent and 120 percent better than average while in the minors, depending on the level. Still, Bryant’s projection is so extreme that at one point, the developers who run the projection systems became worried. In a mid-winter Twitter consultation, baseball projection system developers compared Bryant’s projections to make sure that they weren’t out of line. There was consensus: All of their independently developed algorithms were giving Bryant one of the top hitting lines in the majors.Even so, not all prospects hit as well as their projections say they should. The computers, operating solely on minor league performance, can fail to notice fatal flaws in a hitter’s swing, flaws that can be exploited ruthlessly at the major league level. That’s partly why projection systems aren’t as good as scouts at predicting how prospects will perform in the major leagues. So, despite their depiction in “Moneyball,” scouts are an integral part of evaluating baseball players, and that goes double for prospects.Scouts look at the shape of a hitter’s swing, if he can generate power, and how easily he adapts to a pitcher’s shifting tactics. Bryant’s ludicrous numbers in the minors were no guarantee that the scouts would love the tools he used to achieve those numbers.The scouts are every bit as high on Bryant as the projections. He was ranked the No. 1 prospect in baseball for 2015 by venerable scouting organization Baseball America. FanGraphs also put him at No. 1, Baseball Prospectus put him at No. 5, and a host of others ranked him similarly. All publications praised his rare, top-notch, seemingly effortless power. As with the projection systems, a consensus quickly developed, and that consensus proclaimed Bryant the best prospect in baseball.The highest-rated prospects of the past 25 years have tended to become great major leaguers — on average. Yet there are some notable busts, players who the scouts thought were destined for greatness but who ended up falling short. Orioles outfielder Delmon Young, for example, consistently rated among the best prospects in baseball four years in a row, only to turn in a disappointing, journeyman career. Projection systems aren’t immune to mistakes, either. Once upon a time, Eduardo Nunez was PECOTA’s favorite, but he’s since become better-known for hitting a preponderance of popups. There’s no foolproof way to tell how a player will develop or respond to the challenges of the major leagues.Independently, then, each source has its share of errors. Often, the scouts will disagree with the predictions, or vice versa. Scouts might see future potential that never manifests in the majors. Or PECOTA will fail to consider a player’s unfixable weakness against major league competition.But Bryant has the approval of both stats and scouts, which is why he’s so special. Using data on historical prospect rankings2Which are generously provided by Chris St. John. and PECOTA projections going back to 2004, I looked for players who received comparable acclaim from both PECOTA and the scouts. Here is a complete list of the players in my data set who received a consensus prospect ranking better than fifth and a PECOTA-projected OPS greater than the projected league average. Kris Bryant1.7.881— Jose Reyes2.0.72336.2 The names on this list combine for three MVP awards, 34 All-Star appearances and 273.2 wins above replacement3Baseball-Reference.com version. (a statistic that measures the overall value of a player, combining his hitting, baserunning and defense). Bryant’s predicted OPS, relative to the league average, is higher than the comparable projections for all the players on the list before they entered the league.Several of the above players are potential Hall of Famers (Miguel Cabrera, David Wright, Joe Mauer), while others have been merely very good (Jose Reyes, Jay Bruce). Notably, there’s not a true bust among them. Melvin Upton (formerly B. J.) isn’t a good hitter anymore, but he was excellent for the first six years of his career (just less than the seven years for which the Cubs will control Bryant).A few of these players (such as Profar and Wieters) have fallen victim to injuries. This is the kind of problem that can end the career of any young player, no matter how bright his future might be. But Bryant has yet to suffer any serious injuries, whether in the minors or in college before that.4Whereas both Profar and Wieters lost time in the minors due to injury. To the extent that players can be injury prone, Bryant has so far shown no such inclination.Bryant has won the acclaim of both the projections and the scouts. Rarely are the two in such resounding agreement. He is likely to be great, and while it may be too soon to be planning a parade, it’s not too early to begin envisioning a long period of Cubs offensive dominance led by Kris Bryant. PLAYERAVERAGE PROSPECT RANKPROJECTED OPSCAREER WAR Matt Wieters1.1.94113.6 Joe Mauer2.2.82346.3 Evan Longoria2.6.79940.0
Tottenham defender Toby Alderweireld aims to return to winning ways at Cardiff City on New Year’s DayMauricio Pochettino’s side saw their five-match winning run come to an end with a shock 3-1 home defeat to Wolves on Saturday.However, Spurs have bounced back superbly from losses this season and Alderweireld is hoping they will prove that again at Cardiff.“We have to stick together,” Alderweireld told the club website.“Of course, everyone is very disappointed to get this result (against Wolves) but we have to bounce back on Tuesday and show what kind of team we are.”In the game at Wembley, Harry Kane’s first-half strike gave Spurs the lead heading into the break.Liverpool legend Nicol slams Harry Maguire’s Man United form Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Steve Nicol believes Harry Maguire has made some “horrendous mistakes” recently, and has failed to find his best form since joining Manchester United.But goals from Willy Boly, Raul Jimenez and Helder Costa in the space of 15 minutes in the second-half handed Wolves the win.“I thought we had a good first half, second half we couldn’t get the energy from the last games, we defended, defended and then a goal against… it was difficult,” added Alderweireld.“The desire was there, sometimes it’s just the energy. Normally we’re on top of it and we’re better than the opponent but we couldn’t create a lot chances (in the second half).“Defensively they stood okay and we couldn’t get through. The second half was difficult.”Saturday’s defeat in London was also Alderweireld’s 100th league match for Spurs.
$50,000 donated by Wine Cellar Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 25 Oct 2014 – Lots of new taxes talked about when the Cabinet got together this week… cost of living and working and reveling in the islands will be more expensive beginning from this month. October saw the activation of the stevedoring tax hike and now government is reminding of the November increase on the pricing of tourism activities. A 12% tack on to the cost of services in 19 new areas, as the Revenue Department in the Ministry of Finance reminds the public that the House of Assembly has approved an amendment to the Hotel and Restaurant (Taxation) Ordinance for these changes to take effect. There is push back from the sector, but it appears that all will go ahead as TCIG planned… as the tax for these designated tourism service providers will apply if the company exceeds a quarterly income of $12,000 or annual income of $50,000. It will be 12% more expensive for services like: water sports, sight-seeing, concierge, fishing, destination weddings, photography and golfing. This tax takes effect next Saturday, November 1st, 2014. Related Items:concierge, destination weddings, fishing, photography, sight-seeing, tax increase, taxation ordiance, water sports Police update on Friday 13 snorkel death in Provo
The Alaska State Troopers responded to the incident at an address on Stovall Ave in Anchor Point, and arrested Roy Burke, 40, of Homer. Burke also took items from inside the house and fled the scene in a vehicle. Further investigation by Troopers showed Burke was on conditions of release from another criminal case. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享A Homer man was arrested for entering a residence without permission and assaulting several people inside the residence with bear spray, on May 8. According to the Troopers Burke had entered the residence without permission and assaulted several people inside the residence with bear spray. According to an online Trooper dispatch, an arrest warrant was issued for Burke. Burke was contacted and arrested later the same night and transported to Wildwood Pretrial facility.
An investigation showed Delumeau had forced entry into the house, threw the female to the ground, strangled and punched her. Delumeau fled the residence in a vehicle prior to Trooper arrival. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Anchorage Police have arrested a man after he reportedly assaulted and strangled a woman in Anchor Point on April 19. The female was transported to the South Peninsula Hospital for treatment. A warrant was requested and granted for Delumeau’s arrest. Delumeau was arrested on April 23 by Anchorage Police and remanded into the Anchorage Jail. According to an online Trooper Dispatch, Troopers responded to a report of an assault at a residence on Stovall Ave in Anchor Point. A female reported Patrick Delumeau, 26 of Anchorage, had kicked in the door to the house and assaulted her.
Baltimore residents were battered by a violent nor’easter Friday and Saturday that claimed at least one life, derailed a freight train, tossed tractor trailers and sparked hundreds of thousands of power outages throughout the region.Strong winds, part of a nor’easter pummeling Baltimore and Central Maryland caused widespread damage throughout the city, including a downed lamp post in the parking lot of the Safeway in Charles Village and a myriad of toppled trees such as this one on Callow Avenue in Whitelock City in West Baltimore. (AFRO Photo/Sean Yoes)According to BGE, more than 400,000 outages had been reported throughout Central Maryland. By 8 p.m. Saturday, service had been restored to about 300,000 of those customers. BGE workers and Baltimore City clean clean-up crews operated virtually non-stop since Friday working on outages and removing debris.The storm, which the National Weather Service called “one of the most powerful windstorms in recent years” and included wind gusts over 80 miles per hour, compelled Gov. Larry Hogan to declare a state of emergency yesterday.“I want to caution all Marylanders that these dangerously strong winds will continue this evening and into tomorrow. We are continuing to see a number of serious accidents on bridges and roadways, and power outages throughout the state,” Hogan said in a statement March 2.“Please use common sense, heed all warnings, and stay inside and off the roads if possible.Strong winds, part of a nor’easter pummeling Baltimore and Central Maryland caused widespread damage throughout the city, including a downed lamp post in the parking lot of the Safeway in Charles Village and a myriad of toppled trees such as this one on Callow Avenue in Whitelock City in West Baltimore. (AFRO Photo/Sean Yoes)A massive tree fell on a car on West 28th Street in Remington last night, and the powerful winds also knocked down a lamp post in the parking lot of the Safeway grocery store in Charles Village.According to The Baltimore Sun, a 77-year old woman was killed yesterday in Baltimore County by a falling tree branch outside her home in the 11000 block of Cedar Lane in Kingsville. County police did not identify the woman.The volatile windstorm may have also caused several cars from a CSX freight train to derail and tumble into the Susquehanna River Friday night near Perryville.According to the National Weather Service, winds were expected to subside through Sunday.