Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Bay of Plenty Times 25 Dec 2011A Tui “yeah right” billboard accused of taking away the innocence of Christmas is causing controversy in Bayfair. The billboard, at Owens Place near Bayfair, reads “Santa only comes once a year. Yeah right”. It has offended Bob McCoskrie, national director of Family First New Zealand, who has slammed it as “tacky” and “adult humour”. It is not the first time Tui has caused offence with its Christmas themed billboards. In 2008, DB Breweries pulled down a billboard near the Bayfair roundabout after public pressure. The billboard, which said “This Christmas take a moment to think about Christ. Yeah right”, sparked complaints it was disgusting and in poor taste.Mr McCoskrie said the latest billboard showed a lack of Christmas cheer from Tui and would prompt questions from innocent children. The sexual innuendo of the billboard was “adult humour which parents would prefer not to have to explain to children who ask”, he said. “The ‘Yeah right’ billboards are well known for making people smile. We’d just ask that they do it without embarrassing parents with awkward questions from kids. Keep adult humour to an adult audience – although many adults would be offended by the sign as well. “We’d encourage families to show their disapproval by boycotting the company products.”http://www.bayofplentytimes.co.nz/news/santa-billboard-sparks-outrage/1219640/
Over 1 million people visited downtown Indianapolis during Super Bowl festivities in 2012.UpdateWed., Oct. 9The Super Bowl could be back in the Hoosier State. Indianapolis and New Orleans, the sites of the past two Super Bowls, and Minneapolis are the three finalists to host the NFL championship game in 2018The announcement was made yesterday and the final decision will come in May.Original PostTuesday, October 8 @ 7:40 a.m.The NFL will announce whether Indianapolis is a finalist to host the 2018 Super Bowl on Tuesday afternoon.An advisory committee narrows down the list of contenders, then the winner is selected by NFL owners during their spring meeting in May.Indianapolis is up against New Orleans, Tampa, Denver, Minneapolis, and possibly Miami.City leaders announced intentions to bid for another Super Bowl after the 2012 event brought over 1 million visitors to downtown Indianapolis.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has approved a waiver request allowing Florida food stamp recipients to purchase their groceries online.The approval was announced on Saturday, April 11, just one day after Florida’s Governor Ron DeSantis directed the Florida Department of Children and Families (DCF) to begin developing plans to implement an online purchasing program for Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP) recipients.The current federal regulations prohibit SNAP recipients from purchasing groceries online with an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card. Last week, Florida submitted a waiver to participate in the USDA’s Online Purchasing Pilot, which ensures Floridians can access nutritious food online through the currently authorized SNAP online retailers like Amazon, ShopRite and Walmart.“Allowing Florida families to purchase groceries online instead of venturing into a public store is a sound practice during this public health emergency and yet another step that will help Florida flatten the curve,” DeSantis said.With the spread of the novel coronavirus, many are concerned that forcing low-income individuals — who are more likely to have serious underlying health conditions — to shop in-store could expose them to unnecessary risk. After the USDA’s approval was announced Saturday, Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried praised the feds for making an exception for Floridians.“I thank the USDA and Secretary [Sonny] Perdue for granting the state’s request to bring safer grocery options to Florida’s families in need,” Fried said.According to USDA, Florida’s SNAP participation is nearly 3 million individuals, about 1.5 million households, and totals nearly $4 billion annually in federal funding.